This presentation was also presented by the University of Waterloo. The presentation was mostly about the team features. The university of waterloo has apparently been giving quite a bit of feedback regarding the team features and what they have become. The example course in this case was a 800 student course with 4 sections.
- Each student is part of multiple teams. A lecture, section and small group among others
- Over 200+ teams of 4 students each
- Used team generator to assign students
- New variable in 7.x: TEAMACCESS_DISPLAY. Set to '1' to allow multiple teams to be assigned to an item. Set to '2' to allow multiple teams and also customize settings for each team
- New variable in 7.x: EXTENDTEAM_ACCESS. Set to '1' to turn on the extended team interface. Needs to be set in addition to above.
- Discussion forums: some global, some TA based, others section based. Before you had to have multiple boards. Now can use the team journal feature which creates a "virtual board". Students have a dropdown when they enter the board if on multiple teams. 7.x has prioritized teams, 6.3 is alphanumeric order.
- Dropbox: One for each TA. Before had to have another team for each TA. Now can have the box assigned to multiple teams. There's only one dropbox though. Not virtual.
- Can customize all settings for each team
It’s good to see they added all the settings as previously some were missing from the override screen. Seems they removed the individual user option though. The team journal is in 6.x and will likely help quite a bit with cleaning up some courses. We’ve had some problems with team naming schemes so the idea of 200+ teams sounds a bit frightening though.