The final two sessions I went to. I only caught the last part of the 24/7 Asynchronous Learning one but it again used actions and reports to allow students to get constant feedback and instructors to stay in control of large courses.
The workbook section was by Elsevier and Learning Objects. They have taken the workbook model of what usually came with textbooks and integrated it with various LMS’s.
- currently in early development
- Authoring Environment: simple WYSIWYG that allows authors to create various question types.
- Java web start and produces zipped xml documents (with supporting files if any)
- Instructor deploys assignment, student fills out, instructor notified by email
- Integration: ANGEL server and Workbook server
- Custom object type in ANGEL
- Wizard in ANGEL for import
- Shared UI stylesheets
- Uses URL based syntax between servers with various protections (hash/checksum, timestamp, etc)
- Object in ANGEL (looks like link) creates the URL for student which then goes to the Workbook Server. Grade gets transferred back to ANGEL if instructor chooses to grade it (can leave feedback only)
This session was about what they were working on but was also a bit about how to integrate systems within ANGEL that are hosted separately (full applications). Was interesting but unsure if I’ll ever use.